Saturday, August 11, 2012

DIY Wine Glass Candleholders

As I was browsing on Pinterest last night, I came across these gorgeous candle holders. I knew I wanted to make them, but I didn't want them just for the Autumn season, I wanted to be able to use them year round. Gosh knows I have enough pumpkin decor! So, I set out this morning to make these happen. One stop by Goodwill and I was set. I picked up 3 different stemmed glasses for only $0.49 a piece. Jackpot!
And yes, I did set the pic up with an Autumn vibe, because I wanted to make doubly sure they went well with some of my other decor.


What You'll Need:

-Mixed shape/design clear wine glasses
-Acrylic paint (yes I know there are watercolors shown in the pic, but I changed my mind at the last second)
Here's the colors that I used:
  • Linen--Folk Art
  • Metallic Peridot--Folk Art
  • Metallic Antique Gold--Folk Art
  • Burnt Umber--Folk Art
  • Metallic Pearl White--Folk Art
  • Toffee--Apple Barrel Colors
  • Orange--Apple Barrel Colors
  • Christmas Green--Apple Barrel Colors
  • Berry Red--Apple Barrel Colors
  • Pineapple--Apple Barrel Colors




Yes, there is a lot of paint mixing, but its fun! 
-Assorted size paint brushes (softer bristles work best)
-Optional: Tacky Glue, Water
-Tealight Candles


Directions:

  1. Wash and dry glasses thoroughly.
  2. Paint the interior of each glass with Metallic Antique Gold. It will be a pale color (see photo on right), but will dry to a beautiful finish. If you are impatient like me, go ahead and use a blow dryer to speed up the process. I used mine on the lowest setting, and using cool air. It was all dry in about a minute and a half.  
  3. Mix acrylics to desired colors. Paint the insides of the glasses, over the gold. Let dry (or use the blow dryer again). Also, if you decide that you don't like the color or brushstrokes, the paint washes off simply with water. 
  4. Paint the stems of the glasses with the Metallic Peridot. I did not paint the area of the stem that the candle sits on. Once again, let dry. 
  5. (Optional) If you would like a matte/frosted finish, mix equal parts Tacky Glue and water. For a frosted finish, add a small amount of white paint to the glue/water. Paint the mixture as evenly as possible onto the outside of the glass. You may want to test the effect on another glass before painting the final product. This also washes off easily with water. 

Happy Crafting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment