Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DIY Colorful Chandelier Mobile

While browsing Pinterest for baby ideas, I came across this tutorial for a cute baby mobile. I loved the idea, but it didn't quite fit perfectly with what I've got going on in Baby Monkey's nursery. I knew I wanted to use that concept, but I wanted something a little more ornate, yet natural. Here's what I came up with, and for less than $10:


Yes, I know. This picture sucks, but I can only reach so far over the crib with a beach ball for a belly. 

DIY Colorful Chandelier Mobile

What You'll Need:



  • Grapevine wreath
  • Paint chips (For the large flower in the center, I used 4 Behr chips from Home Depot that were petal-shaped and 4 very large rectangular paint chips that I can't remember the brand on)
  • Tacky Glue or Hot Glue (I used Tacky Glue since Little Monkey had somehow made my glue gun vanish into thin air. It happens. A lot.)
  • Cotton thread in any color (I used white)
  • Scissors or large round hole punch
  • If using scissors--circle template to trace. I used a quarter, nickel and dime for uniformity and to give the circles a cascading look. 


Directions:
(I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures of the creation process.) 
  1. Begin by tracing out your desired number of circles (if using scissors), remembering for each colored circle, to trace two of each, or if using a punch, punching out two of each. 
  2. Lay out 1 set of circles in the desired pattern for the mobile. 
  3. Cut a length of cotton string 8-12 inches long for each line of chip circles. I varied the lengths of string to add variety. 
  4. Tie a knot at the bottom of each piece of thread and a knot at each point on the string where a chip circle will go. 
  5. Brush glue onto the back of a chip circle. Press the string onto the circle, then press the matching circle on top. Repeat for each circle on mobile. 
To make center flower:
  1. Begin by taking one of the large petal shaped chips and tracing it, in reverse, on the 4 large rectangular paint chips so that when cut out and glued, all 8 petals align correctly. 
  2. Cut 2 fairly large circles (half dollar sized) out of desired center color.
  3. Cut a length of cotton thread, (desired length, from ceiling to bottom of flower) and tie a knot in the end.
  4. Glue all 8 petals together then brush glue on the back of one of the center circles. 
  5. Arrange flower petals and knot on thread on center chip circle, brush all with glue, then press down the second center chip circle. 

Assembly:
  1. After glue has dried on all chips, cut string flush with bottom circle. Take the remaining end of thread and tie through a branch on the wreath. Repeat for all strings.
  2. Cut 4 pieces of string and tie evenly around the top of wreath to make the part that will hang from the ceiling  You may want to use a thicker thread to do this, or double the thread. Tie all hanging threads together with a sturdy knot or loop. Tie the flower string onto/into this knot as well. 
  3. Hang well above baby's reach. 



2 comments:

  1. The use of paint chips was brilliant! I always forget that those are a quick and easy way to get colored paper in all shades

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They really are versatile and hold up a lot better for projects than scrapbooking paper and some cardstock. I think I'll be doing a lot more with them in the future.

    ReplyDelete