Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tuna Pop-Overs

I found the recipe for the pop-over breads below in a box of recipe cards that my Mom gave me. The brand on the recipes says that they are by 'Easy Everyday Cooking' but that's the only copyright info that I can find. If anyone knows more, let me know and I will be much obliged to add credit where its due.

I do believe that these pop-overs could be very versatile, and since they are so easy to make, I may have to try a few things with them (I'm thinking chicken salad, or perhaps a chili/cheese combo). The only problem that I found with mine was that the center was a little chewier than I would have liked them to be. That could have been because my oven is not the greatest, or perhaps I didn't bake them quite long enough. These were a huge hit with my 3 year old son for lunch today, so at least I know I've found something else to add to our quick lunch menu. Enjoy!

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, I have a crap phone for the next few months, and can't seem to find my charger for my good camera....sigh.....

Ingredients

(Pop-Overs)
3 eggs
1 c. skim milk (I used whole, its what I had)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. butter--melted

(Tuna Salad)
2 (5 oz.) cans chunk light tuna in water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. white or black pepper (I prefer white)
2 tbsp. sweet relish
2 tbsp. mayonnaise 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 475F. Grease 12 muffin cups. Combine eggs, milk, flour and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer, set at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes.
  2. Add melted butter to bowl. Beat for 30 seconds longer.
  3. Fill muffin cups halfway with batter. 
  4. Bake pop-overs for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 350F, bake for 15 minutes longer. Prick tops of popovers gently with a fork to release steam. f
  5. While pop-overs are baking, combine all ingredients for tuna salad in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until needed. 
  6. When pop-overs are finished, add a tablespoon or two of tuna salad to the top of each pop-over and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment